Since there are numerous directions to take in the fields of food and nutritional sciences, our program is structured into course units that help you to follow those paths through the following ways;
- Help you understand the fundamental principles underpinning food and nutrition
- Builds your knowledge of the chemistry and biochemistry of foods, including the role of proteins, carbohydrates and lipids in food quality.
- Understanding the way that we assess whether food is safe and fit for purpose and learn about the way that international food quality management systems work and why these standards must be adhered to.
- Provide you with both knowledge and practical skills of the ways in which we use microbes for the production of food and food ingredients – and what can go wrong.
- Help you to understand how microbes grow and how we can control microbes during food production to ensure that foods are safe and have long shelf-life.
- Learn practical techniques used in food microbiology and learn the principles of food fermentations and microbial metabolism.
- Learn how we process raw materials into the wide range of safe, nutritious and tasty food products we consume daily.
- Learn about different manufacturing processes and get hands-on experience in our own pilot-scale food processing plant.
- Help you develop an understanding of the relationship between human physiology and the human diet by focusing on how diet can influence health and our likelihood of developing diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity and dementia in later life.
- Help you discover the impact that nutrients have on cells, tissues and organs.
- Learn about how public health advice and health claims are underpinned by clinical evidence.
- Help you to have a very good understanding of several key areas: physiology, nutritional requirements, macro and micro nutrient requirement, how nutrients interact with health, and nutritional research.
- Learn how to encourage people towards a healthier diet or increase a product’s sales, by understanding of what motivates people to make healthy diet choices.
- Learn why people are attracted to certain food products, how marketing can be used to direct the buyer’s choice and how the performance of a product can be improved.
- Enable you to excel in the commercial field by acquiring some additional skills for example in the food business management.
- Learn both industry knowledge and the business skills to develop, manage and market food products.
How you will learn
You will learn in a supportive environment through lectures, group work and hands-on practical work in the laboratory and pilot plant all combined to build your skills and knowledge for an exciting career in food and nutritional sciences.
The Department has fully and well equipped food science and microbiology Lab for investigating the chemical, physical and biological properties of food. The tests performed to mention but a few include;
- Food chemical analysis
- Proximate analysis
- Microbiological tests
Our research is based on enhancing health, ensuring safety and improving the processing of raw materials and products to benefit food quality with mission to improve the quality of food and nutrition.